4 Problems That Cause Microwaves to Turn On By Themselves

Microwaves have become one of the most modern appliances found in most homes. With their ease of use and time saving technology, microwaves have made all of our lives easier, especially when it comes to quick food preparation. But did you know that sometimes they can just turn on by themselves?

Many microwaves store enough energy to have the ability to turn on all by themselves, which can be a serious fire hazard. When this problem occurs, the entire unit or a small component of it needs to immediately be addressed and replaced. But that doesn’t mean you have to always call on a professional. Here are the top 4 reasons why a microwave may turn on by itself, and what you can do to address the problem on your own.

1.) Sensitive Heat Sensor Panel

On many models of microwaves the buttons are heat sensitive and can be triggered by even the warmth from the touch of your finger. For models that are placed under a range and over the stove, the heat can trigger these buttons to go off on their own.

2.) Faulty Switches and Boards

Boards and switches that are faulty can cause microwaves to turn on by themselves at random times, which is mostly due to the manufacturer. If this is something you are experiencing, the best method for addressing the problem is to call the manufacturer and ask them to make a replacement.

3.) Defective Control Panel

If you have tried unplugging your microwave and plugging it back in again on top of turning off the electricity and the problem still persists, the problem may be in the control panel. The problem may be in the control board itself, or the touchpad could be defective.

Lastly, if the control panel is powering the components of the microwave to start heating, this is a bigger indication of a problem in the control panel.

4.) Stuck Switches

By stuck switches, we mean the interlock switch in the door or interlock relay on the control panel is stuck. If your microwave motor and light turn on, the turntable moves, and there is no heat output, you are more than likely experiencing switches that are sticking.